The Castle can be visited partially (external walls and courtyard). Built by Marquis Luppone in 890, this square shaped castle encircled by a deep moat and stately bastions rises on a steep ground in the valley between the torrents Parma and Baganza. Through the centuries the manor became, among intrigues and wars of succession, the only unchallenged fortress of the area and powerful families such as Rossi, Sforza, Pallavicino, Farnese, Lampugnani left their marks on it.
The building was enlarged and modified up to 1483, when Ludovico the Moor trickily won the manor to the powerful Pier Maria Rossi, the lord of over 40 strongholds all over Parma territory. The Rossi had been ruling Felino since the 14th century, giving the castle its greatest splendour. Since the end of their reign, transformations took place especially inside, as the role of the manor turned from a defensive into an aristocratic and entertainment residence. The castle has however kept its quadrangular layout, the four corner donjons and a watchtower characterized by a double row of crenels and deep grooves on the facade.
Nowadays, after two centuries of negligence and following restoration works, the castle has returned to its ancient beauty and has become the suggestive scenery to celebrate parties, cerimonies, exhibitions, conventions and gala dinners. Facilities include a bar and a restaurant, halls available for meetings, banquets and gala dinners, groups are welcome.